From James Grant:
I finally got around to reading iMonkâ€™s rant on the ten year focus on evangelism in the SBC. It is well worth the read. I agree with him. The last thing the SBC needs to do is focus on evangelism. There are a lot of other things the SBC should be focusing on, and Spencer mentions some of them. For example,
- We need to have healthy churches.
- We need to have a clear Gospel message.
- We need meaningful church membership.
- We need pastors who can grow disciples.
- We need Christians on mission in the world where Godâ€™s placed them.
We need to love people.
- We need to live authentically human lives.
- We need a missional mindset for going into the world.
- We need to see our prevailing sins, like materialism, classism, racism and involvement in the prosperity Gospel.
- We need to repent of our pragmatism, because itâ€™s not true that if just one walks forward, everything we did was right.
I agree 100% and would add several other problems. But Spencer goes on to say, â€œWeâ€™re like a hospital with real problems. Doctor problems. Staff problems. Quality problems. Effectiveness problems. People arenâ€™t getting well. Some are getting a lot worse. Some arenâ€™t making it. And we are concernedâ€¦â€¦about getting more patients.â€ Take a moment and read his whole rant.